Sunday, March 16, 2014

Soapbox

Alright, let me climb on up here and get loud.

The GSUSA has decided to team up with leanin.org to try to "Ban Bossy".  Another word that the feminists want to ban from our vocabulary because it "teaches girls not to be leaders" or some nonesense.  They say that girls are told to stop being bossy when in fact, these girls are "leaders" and are held back by a masculine society who wants to step on the necks of girls with moxie and enthusiasm.

I call bullsh*t.

Bossy kids (boys and girls) are the ones who are pushy about wanting to get their way without any concern about the interests of others.  Those are the ones that say, "We're playing TAG, whether you like it or not!"  It's verbal bullying.  Do I want to ban the word?  Not a chance.  Call a spade a spade.


On the quilting front, I finished the big customer quilt project that I've been pounding out the last few days.  Thread changes, different patterns in different areas, and binding--which is not something that customers always want, but a few want it *all done* when it comes back.  Looking at other longarm quilters, they charge more than I do, but when you add up the amount per inch, even at my rate, there's a little sticker-shock.  Most long-arm quilt prices for binding that I saw were .15 per linear inch just to stitch it down on the top--the customer has to stitch it down on the back.  Top and back started at .20 and went up to .35 per linear inch.  This customer's quilt is 400" around...at .15, that's $60; at .35 per linear inch, that's $140!  Just to put the binding on!  I decided to go cheap.  Some may think I've devalued my work, but thinking about the hourly wage, and how long it took me to do this particular job, it seems like a LOT!

One more day of cookie sales...we have to leave in a short while with our 142 boxes...I hope we sell out.  We won't have to do this again for another year...or maybe not ever...depends on how many girls decide to renew their Girl Scout memberships.  We haven't done any activities or worked on any badges.  School work has taken precidence over scouts, as well as her other interests.  We'll see how things come together eventually.  Maybe we can do some badges over the summer.

Gotta do a quick recount of the boxes...and then we're off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.