Sunday, March 31, 2013

Uncommon Conventions

So you're probably wondering what we did this weekend...this holy Easter weekend...was spent in very odd costumes with several thousand other people dressed in very odd costumes.  It's the annual Anime convention, Sakura-Con held in Seattle every year.

I met up with Heide and her girls, and although we didn't get to spend quite as much time together as I would have liked (the girls were running in different directions), it was still great seeing them.

It's so FLUFFY!  I got a chance to hug Totoro!

Guys just wanna have fun...in drag...

Two of Heide's beautiful girls...

Heide's third beautiful girl...

Dancing...

And posing.


Found Waldo.

And a bunch of random shots of people...
 These guys are from a show called Hetalia.  No idea what countries they represent.
No idea who these characters are.

More costumes from the foyer.

Cleaning up...

This is a Mario Brothers thing.  Lots of people stopped by to take pictures.  The girl in the flower pot would duck down during the photos.

This gave me ample time to take photos of the people taking photos.

She was sitting nearby and posed for me.  No idea who she is.

There's a person inside that furry outfit who is very hot.  The gal in the furry bikini wiped him/her down with a wet rag from time to time.

Another costumed person posing for this photographer.  I'll crop him out later.


A group of heavily armed characters stopping to pose for pictures.  I ran around to get a better shot, but they moved on.  We could have been there all day just taking pictures of passers-by.  So many impressive costumes, wigs, and accessories.  I was carrying a towel with me all day, but it's nothing compared to the armloads of stuff some of these people walk around with.  

This outfit, for example, is quite the enterprise to be walking around in all day.  He moved very slowly, shuffling is way across large crowded rooms.  What is it?  No idea.  I'll have to ask Emma.




We waited 4 1/2 hours to meet this guy.  His name is Vic Mignogna ("Min-yonna") and he does voices for several characters in Japanese cartoons.  He's also in post-production for the new show, Star Trek Continues as Capt. James T. Kirk.  Also starring in the upcoming series, Grant Imahara (of Mythbuster's fame) who will be playing Lt. Sulu.  Vic was scheduled to do autographs for 90 minutes but ended up staying til everyone got a signature and a hug, more than 3 hours longer than scheduled.  What a sweet guy!  I thanked him for staying so long to ensure that everyone went away happy.


Biggest surprise of the weekend:  running into my cousin and her daughter...whom I haven't seen since she was very little.  We chatted for a bit, the second-cousins got a chance to meet each other (neither seemed particularly impressed or excited).  I suggested that we need to have another reunion since the last one was held in about 1984.  It's high time, people.  Deb said she'd work something out, but we really need to stay better connected.



I got Abigail to pose...I was the first to take her picture, apparently.  :)

Only two people took my picture all day, and only at the very end when someone standing in line with us asked if I was cos-playing Hitchhiker's Guide.  YES!!  I lost my junk mail somewhere along the way (three empty envelopes that I had stuffed into my pocket), but I still had my towel, so I was still a hoopy frood.*

We went out to get some food after the signing at 8:00, but the  lines at the restaurants were really long.  We walked a few blocks to the bus stop, waited a few minutes under the purple trees, and headed home.  We were all too tired to do much more.  I pulled out a baggie of crackers that we munched on during the bus ride and after they came back and packed up their stuff, I drove them over to Miss E's house for the night.

Emma came home just a little while ago...she had a great time!




*“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
(Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)”


― Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

1 comment:

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.