Monday, March 18, 2013

My Cabbages!


We had a little...incident...in the kitchen.

I was cooking our Irish dinner--got the corned beef on and had it simmering for a couple hours and got all the potatoes cut up and ready to go.  Then it was time for the cabbage.  Thinking I could knock out the butt end by whacking it on the counter, I gave it a go...but knocked it on the glass surface instead of the counter.  Ooops.  

Thinking this was a quick and easy fix, I looked around to get a replacement glass, but like so many things, it costs almost as much to fix the thing as it is to replace it with a brand new one.  That's right--the glass costs $900.  A new stove costs $900-1200.  WHY?  I don't get it.  Granted, the stove is almost 15 years old, but you wouldn't think that the piece of glass would cost as much as a new unit.

Sadly, this means that the floors are going to be put off for a while again.  Sigh.

When we were living in a rental house up North, we had a gas stove.  We loved it!  We bought our first home...electric.  Second home...electric.  Third home...electric.  It's been something we've wanted to get back to since then, but we haven't had a chance (or the money).  Not that we have the money but we're going to have to get a new stove.  Now I gotta figure out how to get a gas line installed...maybe I need to go to Lowe's and see if they have a contractor that can come in and take care of things fairly quickly.  I don't know how long I can work without a fully functioning stove.  I have a guy coming tomorrow to give us a quote for the gas line...estimated $500-700.

Then the stove itself...I'm thinking of something like this:

Maytag 30-in 2.1 cu ft/3.9 cu ft Double Oven Gas Range (Stainless Steel)
It's got a double oven without taking up more space, so you can cook fish sticks AND french fries!  Turkey AND pie!  Double-speed on cookies!  And really, the price is only a couple hundred bucks more than the standard oven, and a lot less than many of the stoves out there.

I was wondering about this--do I want it?  Do I need a second oven?  Then I got to talking with my friend, author KateMarie Collins (heck yeah, I name-dropped!), and she said she LOVES hers and wouldn't trade it for anything...at least as long as she has kids.  SOLD!

And now I have to figure out what I'm going to make for dinner.  I think I may have to do some crock-pot cooking for a bit.  Boo.  Not that I hate crock-potting, but I'm not very good at it.  Overcooked, undercooked, dry, bland...sad.

1 comment:

  1. Can you not use the stove at all? Are the other burners broken as well?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.