Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter Vacation

We haven't done much so far this vacation, at least after Sakura-Con.  We went to visit with Avelyn & family for a few hours on Monday.  We spent a couple hours at the orthodontist on Tuesday.  Karate today. Woo.  Exciting times.

I have a couple of quilts done for Quilts of Valor.  The tops were sewn by a group of ladies in Wisconsin and I've been quilting them up.  I got one quilted up with loops and stars and the second one I did in a wobbly concentric circular pattern that I call Topography.  It looks like a topographic map.  Hopefully the quilt will make it to a soldier who likes maps. :)

I have been reading a bunch over the last couple of days.  There was a book from Nicholas Sparks that sounded interesting, so I downloaded it on Kindle (I love that I have the app on my phone!).  I blazed through it in just a couple days and it was so good, I downloaded another one and ripped through in less than 36 hours.  So I downloaded a third book (none of which have been made into movies, as far as I'm aware, so they were not "the Notebook", "the Lucky One", "Message in a Bottle", "Dear John" or "A Walk to Remember".  Although I might want to read them someday, I already know how they end.  So I selected "The Guardian", "Safe Haven" and "A Bend in the Road", the last of which I am just starting.

We will be doing some visiting in the next couple of days while we have some time available, and hopefully we'll be well rested when the school opens up for business again.

So for a little entertainment, here's a couple pictures.

Emma, reading Full Metal Alchemy.  The main character, Edward, is voiced (in English) by Vic Mignogna.

Ben wearing his new Sgt. Frog hat that Kelly picked up at the convention.  Sgt. Frog is a children's cartoon in Japan that was recently featured on Netflix.  I'm thinking about getting him the first couple of seasons of the show for his birthday.  The theme song is hilarious...you have to read the translation at the top of the video.

I'm hoping we can get some Geocaching done in the next few days.  I'm up to 56 finds now.  Apparently there are a few people who are up over 50,000.  I assume they're the types who travel a lot and make an effort to find a few every day, and have been doing this for 10 years.  5000 in a year at 14 a day.  That's a lot.  I've been a member for about 160 days and found 56...that's 1/3 of a find a day.  I'm  a little off the pace.  Maybe we can get a bunch more this summer.  There's a business district a few miles south with a half-dozen or so hidden around the buildings and rockery.  This will have to be investigated on a weekend when there are fewer people (and more parking spots)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.