Sunday, February 3, 2013

Wrapping up the Weekend...

Another productive quilting day today!

I worked on a couple different things.  First I finished putting blocks and sashing on a quilt that I started for Cammie 10 years ago.  Yep...a decade.  I found a label on one of them that said "September 2003".  I handed out the pattern a second time, so this may have been the newer of the blocks and the others are 11 years old.  Well, I'm happy to say that the quilt top is now complete!

The next thing I worked on was a quilt top that I started more than six years ago at the old house.  I carefully cut out, pieced and laid out these Flying Dutchman pieces, only to stand back and say, "oh crap.  I sewed them together wrong.  This is what it's supposed to look like.  Note the pinwheel center...hence, the "flying" bit.

And this is what I did...it's not a pinwheel.  It's a Friendship Star.  Oops.  Each pair of triangles is turned 90 degrees.  Well, I had a couple of options...take the easy way out, or the hard way.  Didn't really want to go the hard way.  The hard way is to take it all apart...not gonna happen.

So instead of taking it all apart and "fixing" it, I decided to make it a new pattern.  I'm calling it "Friendly Dutchmen".  Or "Twisted Geese".  I added a strip of white and attached the flying geese border that I had already (mostly) created.  I was about 8 geese short of a flock, so I sewed up a few more.

At this point, it's 90" square, which is a little too small for a King bed, so I may add borders on three sides to make it just a smidge bigger.  6" strips will make it 102" x 96"--I find having it longer from head to foot just makes it more awkward on the bed.

Lauri left me with two quilts to do for her and headed back home around 3:00.  This gets added to the pile of five quilts for Quilts of Valor and three quilts for Seattle Children's.  I'm going to busy for a while.  Donna and John stopped by around 4:00 with some paperwork to sign and we chatted for a bit before they headed back home.

It's been a long weekend, and I have no interest in who won the Superbowl, although I guess it was the Ravens, which when I did the mental coin toss, is what I guessed.  Other than that, I got some laundry folded.  Woo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.