Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Adventures at Omi's Continues

I was just looking at how late it is now, so this will be a super-quick update and I can put more information up tomorrow.

I'm helping Sharon clean up her mom's house again.  It's been sitting dormant for too long, so I offered to get this thing cleaned and ready for the handyman to come in and patch up the broken stuff and bring in some income for this property.  Of course, we haven't really worked out any kind of financial arrangement, but I've got some quilts that need binding put on them.

Quick tour of the house...not all of it, mind you, but the bulk of the living spaces:

The Living Room...I am standing in the dining room, which at that time had a table, a rug, a couple of drawers from the buffet (don't know how those got left behind) and a couple empty boxes.  And a giant brown house spider I named Frank.  Behind the big pile of rugs on the far end of the room is a giant box TV that I will not be able to lift.


The kitchen.  All the cupboards are empty, so it's mostly just cleaning the gluck off the dishes & utensils and wrapping them up.  Oh, and I'm throwing away the borscht on the counter.


The master bedroom.  Still a few little things in the closets, some linens, and look...another box TV.  All the furniture will be taken to the living room as a "staging area" for the movers to easily load into the truck.


The second bedroom--this used to be Sharon's once upon a time.  Disassemble bed, take out the trash, and pack up the last bits of stuff.  I would really like to burn the curtains, but we'll let Sharon decide.


The back deck needs a little work, too.


There is one more bedroom that is mostly empty--just a few cushions and a small table, but otherwise clean.  The basement I didn't even venture into and the garage is another story entirely.

Once again, I came across some fun treasures:  some ceramic jugs and these fancy candlesticks that pivot so the candle will always be upright and not drip all over the floor...theoretically.



In the meantime, our kids' bathroom is getting a facelift.  The floor was ruined and there was mold growing under the vinyl, so we had it torn up to be replaced.  And, well, it turned into a construction version of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."  If we're replacing the vinyl with tile, we might as well put the heating coils under it.  And if we're having to take the cabinet out, we might as well replace it with a larger cabinet, and if we're doing that, we should add an extra sink, and granite counters...and paint and lights and mirrors and fixtures.  We're not changing the tub, shower or toilet.  We stopped there.  It should be done by the weekend; the handyman will be here all day tomorrow.



Yesterday we took the Girl Scouts for a 30 minute karate lesson.  It was supposed to be an hour but between slow costume changes and traffic, it was truncated.  That was probably for the best since they were starting to get really squirrelly by then.  They really had a great time--most of them were really into it.  There was one that is *painfully* shy and had a hard time with this aggressive sport, but she stuck it out and participated, so...kudos!



Finally finished the second ankle sock in the self-striping yarn.  I tried to make them the same size, which helped by trying to start the sock at the same point in the pattern repeat--I should probably try it on to be sure. :)  I've made dozens of socks but I've never blocked one in my life.  Not sure how to do that.  I should have someone show me...maybe over a cuppa.

1 comment:

  1. Do you get to cherry pick from all the stuff you're packing up? =)
    Nice socks, as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.