Friday, July 26, 2013

Doing the Runaround

I was thinking about taking the kids up to a couple state parks along Hwy 2 to get a couple geocaches, but since I had some errands to run today and my knee spazzed on me yesterday (I'm starting to have trouble with stairs, and yesterday it buckled, which hurt...a lot), it didn't happen.  A trip to the bank to deposit some checks, only to realize that I left my purse at home...trip back home.  Trip BACK to the bank to deposit some checks... UGH!  I also stopped by the sew & vac to drop off my machine for servicing--good thing I've got the extended maintenance agreement on it.  It's due for its annual cleaning (for the first time in 2 years) and the stitch regulator is acting funny, too.  I don't know if they needed the handle part to test it...hope not.

Bekah came over for dinner, as she does most Thursdays, and we spent some time on projects.  Today we worked on sewing stuff--she did some embroidery and I fixed an undertunic that I goofed when I made it.  I made the neckline too low...a little too...va-va-voom...so as a temporary measure, I raised the shoulders but that, in turn, made the armpits a little snug.  I took it all apart, trimmed down the shoulders and reassembled it.  It took a little adjustment, futzing, and swearing, but eventually it came together.  I have a few other garments that need some fixing, and I need to make a few more pairs of undertrouse and perhaps another couple lightweight apron dresses for hot days.  Ben desperately needs some new tunics and the girls could use a couple new ones, too...although every time we've gone camping in the last two years, Emma has managed to sleep over at her friend's house instead.  Sneaky.  I'd like to figure out how to make some garments that can grow with the kids--something too long that can be hemmed and let out, or have rows of fabric added on the bottom as they get taller.

I gotta wake up early tomorrow to take my car in.  I need to get the oil changed, have my brakes looked at, check the alignment again, flush the radiator, and recharge the air conditioner.  Hopefully it won't cost a mint.  It probably will, though.  Since we just got new tires a couple months ago and replaced several other things in it over the last year or so (thermostat, water pump, serpentine belt, etc.), I'm hoping to keep it running a bit longer.  With over 125K miles on it, I'm nervous about how much longer Old Tom will keep chugging along, especially in our upcoming vacation...we don't have the extra $400 a month for a car payment now, and I'd hate to have to get a job just to pay for a car.

The quilt business isn't making that kind of money for me...even still.  I have a couple new clients, but if they only make one or two quilts a year, it'll take a long time to reach that level.  Part of me is playing with the idea of quitting the business officially.  I do a bunch of quilting, but almost none of it is for me, which I miss, and the income is not enough to make it worthwhile some months.  At the end of the year, when we do our taxes, the accountant raises his eyebrows and says, "Uh...if it's not profitable after five years, you start risking an audit..."  Yeah, well, there's not much to audit.

But above all, I'm just tired.  Too many irons in the fire, not enough time to do anything well.

OK, enough depressing thoughts for today.  I'm off to bed so I can spend a lot of money on my car tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. So, you can't run a business at a loss for an extended number of years? That's news to me. I don't know how you juggle so much; I couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.