Friday, July 29, 2011

What Did I Do This Week?

Keepin' busy...listening to cat fights outside...hangin' out at the house and trying to catch up on a bunch of stuff.  Newsletters to write, documentation to compose, research to do...if only I actually *could* clone myself.  But then I'd have my selves to so many things that they'd be begging for more clones, so they'd start cloning themselves, and you know what happens when you make a copy of a copy...you get the funniest line in the movie, "Multiplicity".

I got a call on Monday about getting a quilt done for a baby shower on Saturday.  She dropped it off on Tuesday and I had it back to her on Thursday.  Heckava deal!  It was a tiny thing (45" square) and she wanted spirals on it, so it went together quickly.  Also on Monday, I met with a lady who handed me another quilt!  It's a football season lap quilt made up of t-shirts and sweatshirts from the University of Washington.  My in-laws would be "horrified", of course, since they're born-and-bred WSU'ers.  Kidding.  Really, they're fans of their team, but I don't think anyone in Washington is really serious about the rivalry.  We all go out for beers afterwards, no matter who wins or loses.

Yesterday was such a nice day, Ben and I walked down to the park to play for an hour.  When we arrived, six or seven kids were just leaving...which left the park vacant.  I pushed Ben on the swings, which he was able to maintain for quite a long time afterwards, then he played on the tire swing and the merry go round, climbed around on the toy in the middle, and it was time to head back.  Not a single kid came to play until we were leaving, at which time one of his school classmates and her little sister came with a young lady (could have been her Mom, but I'm thinking older sister, cousin, or babysitter--she just looked TOO young).

When we returned, I said, "Hey, Emma!  Are you ready to go to Karate?" and she said, "I crashed on my bike."  Sure enough, she used every band aid in the house to cover her wounds.  Luckily she was wearing her helmet and really only scraped up her knees, her right palm, and bruised her left side.  She was a bit too stiff and sore to go to class, but we drove down to the dojo anyway to talk to the teacher about rescheduling the lesson and ask about continuing lessons.  Unfortunately, the prices were quite high, even after they gave us the rock-bottom price.  Emma would like to continue, but we'll have to see about that.  Strangely enough--and a little scary--one of the other instructors also has CF.  Due to bacterial infections that are transmittable between them, they shouldn't be within 6 feet of each other.  They are both the picture of health--how could we know?  However, he's having knee-replacement surgery next week (from an injury from long ago that hasn't been fixed in previous unsuccessful surgeries), so he's leaving the dojo.  Sorry to see him go--he's a great guy and a terrific teacher--but better for Emma so she can continue at this dojo to not have that potential medical issue looming.

Oh, here's the back of her leg. She really "got in gear" on this accident...poor kid.


I forgot to write about soccer camp from a couple weeks ago!  The two little ones were signed up for camp again this year and really enjoyed it!  I was concerned that we were going to have a reproduction of last year's drama with Ben not wanting to participate, but he did!  He was excited to get into his gear every morning and play with the other kids...at least until 11:00 when the little kids went home.  The bigger kids (including him) stayed until noon, but three times I had to go over and peel him off the playground to go back with his class.  The instructors thought he was one of the Kindergarten kids, not an almost-second-grader.  They also didn't order a small enough t-shirt for him, so he's swimming in the size 10-12 that he was given.  But Craig Tomlinson and the other instructors were great and taught them a lot, and both kids are looking forward to next season!

Emma, of course, is retired from soccer.

Quilt show tomorrow!
K

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much you squeeze into a week. I wish I was so productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt! Swirls are fun. Glad the kids are all enjoying their summer activities.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.