Friday, July 1, 2011

Cut Up


As part of the sewing room reorganization project, I've been going through bins and boxes trying to consolidate and sort.  First it was folding fat quarters.  Lots of folding.  I got 12 small bins (drawers, really) folded, sorted by color or style (Civil War, 1930s, Juvenile, Christmas, R., O., Y., G., B., I., V., etc.). 


The last few days I've spent cutting all my scraps into squares.  I have something like four bins of scraps leftover from previous projects--some are just 2" strips, some are partially-used fat quarters.  Due to limited space in the Creative Space, it was just time to cut them into squares to ready them for scrap quilts.  

I've been trimming into half-inch increments from 2" to 6" and putting them into gallon ziplocks.  Anything smaller than 2" square is going into the garbage--I don't want to mess with little schnibbles.  I'm debating about squares that are bigger than 14" square--they could be good applique backgrounds, but then again...where am I going to store them?  I'm thinking anything smaller than a fat quarter will be cut into 6" squares.  

I also have a few other quilty projects to do, like some friendship blocks, a couple charity quilts, American Heroes quilts, and a Pirate round robin.  The theme for that one is "Space Pirates".  Yeah...I don't know what I'm going to do with that.  Maybe something to do with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, like applique the spaceship Heart of Gold (stolen by Zaphod Beeblebrox).  

We invited some friends over for Monday to watch the Sounders-Galaxy game and celebrate the 4th.  What are you doing?


K

2 comments:

  1. Your sewing room will be fabulous when you're done. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you getting your fabrics organized. It will make it so much easier to get started on new projects. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.