Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hospitalier Pour Enfants: Day Seven

I'm having to stretch my language memory (or rather, exercise my Google skills) to come up with more creative titles for these pages, whose headings, like my life, takes on a kind of monotony.  I'd much rather have some other kind of monotony, like having to go shopping for shoes or elegant gowns before going out to dinner with some dignitary before jetting off to an exotic locale, but alas, this is not the case.  The drudgery continues.

The morning after the little guy's surgery went rather as planned, him with a tiny bit of bloody discharge, but otherwise seemingly untouched by going under the knife.  His weight was down slightly, but that is not too surprising since he hardly ate yesterday.  After dinner tonight, he was only down .2 kg from the day before, so he's bouncing back.

We wandered down to the play room and picked up some things to keep us entertained--unfortunately, I will have to find some substitute material to make the frog keychain; the plastic stringy stuff they included is not working well.  I'm thinking we could probably find some waxed dental floss to use.  I'll take pictures of that when we get it underway.  I also picked up some cool Hobbit posters from the movie...I don't know where those ended up.  I guess I can run back and get more tomorrow.

We got a rather interesting surprise visitor today--Russell Wilson--the STARTING QUARTERBACK OF THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS!  Oh, he's a good lookin' fella.  Ben, in his usual way, was underwhelmed.  It wasn't a Sounder, but an athlete from a sport he doesn't watch.  However, he did get some signed photos and a sort of play book of other teammates.  I'm really disappointed that this photo is so blurry--had I known, I would have insisted on them taking another shot and turned the backlighting off, or just taking a pic of him and Ben alone.  Look at the size of those mitts...dang!  As Heide pointed out--hands that big can only mean one thing--a lot more yarn needs to be used to make gloves.

Grandma (my MIL) had just left with Cammie, so they missed this excitement.  They were headed back to G-ma & G-pa's house for a few days.  Em and Kelly are still at the house, but we might send Em over to G-ma's as well (against her will, I'm sure).  Not sure what the plan is for the holiday.  The doctors were discussing it in the hallway making it sound like they considered springing us from here tomorrow so we can "be home for Thanksgiving" but considering we don't have any plans at the moment, don't have family really close by, and I'm sure as hell not going to spend 10 hours cooking a meal after spending 10 days in the hospital, I would rather they ensure that Ben is fully rid of the pseudomonas infection instead of kicking us out early and having it return.  Don't make an emotional decision override logic and reason.  If they wanted us to stay the full 14 days, then keep us the full 14.

I worked on the Triple Irish Chain quilt a bunch today and was able to finish the main part of the quilt top before bed.  It's just large enough to fit on the hospital guest bed, which measures 50" x 70".  I will be adding 6" - 9" borders all around (probably 3" strip of white followed by 3" blocks, or maybe pairs of 3" blocks), so it should measure 62" x 82" or 68" x 88", a nice twin size.  I still have LOTS of squares left over, and 9 blocks that were finished but not used.  Not sure how I managed that, so I may end up making more blocks and making a companion quilt.  Of course, I considered just making more blocks and turning it into a King size, as is my SOP (standard operating procedure) but stopped myself when I saw how well it fit on the bed here.  The quilts that I brought with me are not quite big enough and just a bit too big...maybe I need to actually pay more attention to standard bedding sizes.  Pfft!  What a ridiculous idea!

Well, off to take a quick shower before bed, then watch a movie or something while my hair dries.  Who knows...maybe Mauro Rosales will stop by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.