Friday, October 19, 2012

Quiltapalooza

So you're probably wondering what I've been doing?  Up to my ass in alligators...and other creatures.

COUGARS!  Very blurry photo of Judy J's Cougar quilt. This is a rush order, so I had to bump a couple quilts in line to get it done quickly for her.  She gave me the shimmery red thread to use on the top and the poly wine-colored variegated thread for the back.  I gotta say, I still don't like the metallic threads.  It broke several times before I got the speed and tension adjusted, and in the end, it still looked sub-par on the back.  I think I need to say no more to metallic threads.  Grrr!

PENGUINS!  Or a sideways picture of penguins.  This is something from my mother-in-law, and I think it will be going to another grandson who loves the antarctic creatures.  I love the color combinations on this quilt--the blues and oranges bring out the ice, water and beaks from that otherwise bleak colors on that side of the planet. I really love the horizontal stripes that separate the rows.

MYSTERY ANIMAL!  OK, there's no animal in this quilt.  This is Violet & Joy's small scrappy quilt.  This is another original Joy design where she takes a bunch of blocks and arranges them in a unique way.  She really has a great eye for design...someday you may see her name on some books and featured on some quilting show or at Houston!

SOCCER HOOLIGANS!  Went on a mid-week date night with Kelly to the Sounders game!  It was Sounders Beanie night, so everyone who attended got a stripey winter cap to wear on the cool fall night.  Most fans already have the scarves...so what's next--mittens?  Fellow ticket holder, Daniel, is away on a business trip (in Hawaii!!), so I got to be Daniel yesterday.  My first duty was to complain loudly about the cost of beverages at the stadium... "$45 for a Coke Zero!  Criminals!"  The game was frustrating--the ref that evening was Seattle's Greatest Soccer Villain, hated by Sounders fans.  Two yellow cards to a single player in a game means the player is thrown out of the game and can't be replaced--so the team plays a man short.  The game ended 0-0 with a number of angry fans chanting "Salazar sucks!"  The coach also had some scathing remarks for the cameras at half time that may end up costing him a hefty fine.

Today was a "slow" day.  Other than the usual driving the kids back and forth to school, I also did three loads of laundry, a load of dishes, mopped the kitchen floor, and sterilized all the nebulizer equipment.  THEN I got to play with fabric!  I had the 81 9-patches from scraps in my bins...and that was just a small fraction of the scraps that I have saved up.  I had cut up dark blue sashing strips, but after I had sliced up yards of fabric, I realized that I was short on fabric--not enough to do the outside sashing, and of course, the fabric I started chopping up is from quite a few years ago, so no one carries it anymore.  I'll have to substitute another fabric for the outside sashing, but it's blue-black, so just about anything will match.  After the borders, it should be 104" square--king size.  Now that I think about it, I could probably make two twin quilts instead.  With 35 blocks each, with sashing and borders, they would measure 62 x 83.

Kelly is playing some guitar playing game--the kind where you use a REAL guitar, not one with push buttons on it.  He started with a song by the Cure--"Boys Don't Cry"--and played it until I was sick of the song.  Now he's playing "I can't get no Satisfaction".  I have never, never liked that song.  The guitar rift is so monotonous!  Hopefully he'll bore of the song quickly and put me out of my misery.

1 comment:

  1. I went and dug around in earlier posts, but didn't see what is the scrap quilt for? Are you giving it away? Or is this a keeper?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.