Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What's up Wednesday...?

Just a few pictures to test the upload features on this blog...things changed a little bit since I started the other one.  Unfortunately, there are a bunch of pictures in my computer that uploaded funny and duplicated themselves in this era of cameralessness; the phone uploads things but it seems to grab pictures from all my FB friends' profiles and makes multiple bad copies of the originals, so I don't know which one I should post.  I don't know why.

This is me and Bekah at the very rainy Sounders game a few weeks ago.  The bright green rain coats were cheap but durable, so they can be used again later, if necessary.  Bekah and I look like we could be related, don't we?  In case you can't figure it out, I'm the one on the right.  Looks like Kelly and I might be going to the Whitecaps game, which should be FUN!  The Vancouver team is new on the MLS roster this year, as are the Portland Timbers, and they're not the best team on the coast...in fact, so far, they have a total of 9 points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 for a loss) to the Sounders' 22 points.  Sounders are in 3rd place now--the top team has 29 points.  There's still quite a few games left in the season, so anything could happen.


Emma in her pink kimono.  I made this for her math fair, and I later added an obi (wide belt) that completes the ensemble.  She has indicated that this is now her chosen SCA costume.  I'll have to make some in other colors and make some appropriate undergarments for Japanese women's costume as well.  My next costuming project is a commission for a middle school friend that I recently reconnected with who joined the SCA a few months ago.  He has asked for five or six tunics in linen, but the first of which is a muslin mock-up that I will have to mail to him to try on before I start chopping into some more pricey linen.  I may make him a tunic in wool, too, for the winter months.  Since he lives in the midwest, heavy tunics are not a requirement for camping as it is here on the coast.
Let's see...what else...I read a book.  My Dad recommended "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.  It takes place in Seattle, and the story is told from the perspective of a dog named Enzo, owned by a race car driver.  It's very good, funny, but sad at times.  I loved it, although I'm not really a dog person--I mean, I LIKE dogs, but I don't want to own one.  Ever.  I grew up with dogs and have fond memories of them but I know how much work they are and I really don't have any interest in taking on the expense of vet bills and all the extra cleaning that goes with dog hair and poop-scooping.  Also, I just found out I'm allergic to dogs.  Oh well...the book is great!  Highly recommended!

My girl scouts are now Juniors!  They had their bridging ceremony last week, and it turns out that all but one of them wants to continue...the one sitting "Billy Bob Joe", is the only one who is not continuing on.  Also, I found out that three other girls in their grade want to join.  We've gotten two of the three applications back, so we'll have an even dozen girls in the troop next year.  I don't know what we're going to do--they're changing almost everything and the handbooks don't come out til September, so we're joining to have a steep learning curve at the beginning of the school year.  

Also, we're making progress on the yurt.  So far we've cut a big pile of 3/4" sticks out of 2 x 2 stock, and we're starting to drill holes into them to make the walls.  This lattice is called the khana, which is essentially a giant baby gate.  We also have to finish cutting the rafters for my yurt (Jen and Darby have cut theirs already).  After that, we have to build the tono (the roof smoke hole that connects to the rafters), which may prove to be the most difficult part, and the door frame and door.  Then, finally, we have to sew the roof canvas and cut the wall canvas to length.  We're hoping that these will be done in time for camping in mid-July, and then taking it to Pitt camping in mid-August.  

I'll keep you posted on further progress on this and other stuff.  Happy Wednesday!
K

1 comment:

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.