Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer's (almost) Here!

Last day of school!  The girls finished up the year in fine form!  While Cammie's grades are not the traditional A-B-C--they still use the "satisfactory" check mark system for 3rd grade--she did improve in a number of areas (still needs work in math).  Emma, on the other hand, in 7th grade, they use the traditional A-B-C grading, and she improved a great deal for the end of the year and pulled out a 3.2 GPA for the end of the year.  Her lowest grade was a B-, and I'm so thrilled that she pulled it together for the end of the year!

The yurt is coming along.  For the 12' diameter structure, it requires 62 pieces of 88" long 1" x 1" (which is actually 3/4" x 3/4") with 11 holes drilled in it, each 8 1/2" apart.  I was able to get the 60th piece tied on with one piece of lacing before I ran out, so I made a quick trip to Tandy this morning and I finished tying on the 62 long strips, then add the short strips to finish the ends.  I hope this is what it's supposed to look like... Saturday, Jen and Darby are coming by to do the door frame building.

I started this pair of Turkish socks, then set it down for a week.  I'll have to pick it up and work on it a bit more when I have the chance, although I have no idea when that will be.  It takes quite a bit of concentration, so I can't watch a movie while I work (unless it's a movie I've already seen a dozen times), and I often find other things that I want to (or have to) get finished.  The yarn is the Drops alpaca sock yarn from Norway that I picked up in Portland last year.  It's SUPER soft...I hope I'll actually want to wear them once they're finished!

One of the other things that will get some work this week are some tunics that I will be making for my friend, Chad.  I haven't seen him since about 1985, but I recently found out that he joined the SCA and he is in need of some clothing.  I made a mock-up tunic, which I mailed to him, and he wrote back with some minor adjustments to the fit.  The linen just arrived this morning, and he's anxious to see them develop into tunics.

Also expected shortly are several balls of grey and white wool to make the Sounders scarf.  I had purchased some "edemame" colored yarn from KnitPicks but discovered that the color was too dark; I really needed Kool Aid green, a color that I achieved using another batch of yarn.  Since I hadn't liked the edemame and the next closest color still didn't look right (and the description was "grass or new leaves"), I decided to just get bare and dye it myself.  Kool Aid is 10 cents a pack at Winco, so why not?  The grey, on the other hand, is to replace the black that I had originally bought.  It was brought to my attention that the Sounders have changed their color scheme from blue, "rave" green (aka Kool Aid Lime), and, black to blue, "rave" green, and ash grey.  The unfortunate bit is that thanks to a Washington state law, I had to pay tax on it twice when I returned it.  I don't know if that's just from internet sales or what...but it's totally stupid to pay tax on the same thing twice.

Lunch break!  Then I get to decide what project to work on next!  Or maybe I'll just sit and read for a bit.
K

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the yurt! As usual, you have some much going on at the same time. I don't know how you keep track.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.