Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Long Arm of the Blah

I finished the quilting on the Pineapple quilt.  I love this quilt.  But what made me *really* happy was when I posted a picture of it, Judy asked if I would display it at the Sedro Woolley quilt show in June!  I need to have it done for the quilt show in 3 weeks, so I know time won't be a problem.  I wasn't sure if it would be OK for me to display it if I wasn't a member of the guild there (not sure if that is a restriction at all) or if it would be a problem if I displayed it at both shows.  She said that it wouldn't be a problem, so I guess it'll be at both shows!



I used a swirly, feathery pantograph design all over.  It took much longer than I thought it would, but it was densely quilted.  BUT IT'S DONE!!  I know that the edge is flipped up a bit there; it caught on the hopping foot as I drove off the edge, but it'll take just a couple of stitches snipped to unfold it and it'll be covered by the binding anyway.



I put the Civil War quilt on the frame yesterday and then proceeded to have a series of issues with the speed controls for the long arm.  The stitching was going very slow, and no fiddling of the knobs to control speed or stitch length would make any difference at all.  I was getting some toenail catchers on there and it was driving me crazy.

As an attempt to fix the problem, I swapped out the stitch regulator with a spare I had.  No change--or at least not fixed.  Initially, it was snail-slow until I fiddled with the plug, making sure that it was fully engaged.  Then it went warp speed.  I wiggled it a bit and eventually it went fast, but at least it was no longer going 10,000 stitches per second.  Unfortunately, the speed and stitch length knobs were still useless.  I think that it might be a problem with the cable that goes from the regulator to the machine.  Maybe there's a bent prong or something.

Anyway, this is done, too!  Now I have 3 quilts that need bindings.  I have a couple more to go!

Next up is the striped modern quilt...if I don't throw the long arm machine out the window first.  I think I'll quilt this pantograph pattern on it, which I got free from Urban Elementz:

It's much simpler than the last one I did, which was much denser.  It took friggin' forever (about 3 days), so I'm hoping I can get this one done faster and start working on the next (final) quilt that needs to go to the show, and get some bindings done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.