Tuesday, November 26, 2013

New Additions

There have been a number of new things added to our home, none of which poop, for which I am eternally grateful.

First new addition was a fridge.  Our old fridge, which was original to the house, circa 1999, finally crapped out.  The freezer was at frost mode and the fridge was slightly cooler than room temperature.  It gave me the opportunity to throw almost everything out, and even after putting all the stuff back into the fridge (about 2 coolers' worth), it still looked empty.

This quilt block was started over the Pirate Retreat weekend, but I wasn't able to finish putting it together until a couple days ago.  It's from the Harry Potter Project of Doom series--the Monster Book of Monsters.  I'm not entirely happy with the paper piecing assembly, but I think it falls into the "good enough" category.  I had to take apart and re-assemble several of the seams, so I'm not going to freak out if the black pages of the book don't line up perfectly.  The original had white pages, but I didn't like the way it looked.  I wanted to give it more depth and really make the yellow teeth pop.


The guild does a monthly charm swap.  This month's fabric theme was batiks, so I bought six yards in some bright, cheerful colors, and chopped them into 6" squares.  I wasn't able to make it to the meeting, unfortunately, but my new friend, Dorene, picked them up for me.  We'll get together for lunch next week so I can fetch my swapped pieces.  I'm looking forward to getting them!  Six yards of squares will make a pretty sizable quilt, especially if you add a couple yards of black sashing!

Then the quilt will look a little bit like this one!  This is Lauri's stained glass quilt that's on my frame now.  Originally we talked about quilting it in a shiny silver thread, but now I'm thinking it'll look nicer if I do it in an all-over medium purple.  The back is purple, too.



At the guild meeting last month, I picked up this charming little quilt to sew together for their charity program.  It has polar fleece for the back, so no batting is necessary, and quickly stitched some hearts and swirls into it.


I have another bunch of fabric here to make a boy's quilt--they're always short on masculine quilts.  I thought it was another quick-to-quilt thing, but it turns out it's all fabric...it needs to be pieced.  Hmmm...extra challenge.

I have gotten several commissions for beads, weaving and quilting in the last couple of weeks.  I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.  But...I gotta get some laundry and dishes and other cleaning done before the Thanksgiving holiday.  Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.