Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Observations

Years ago, there seemed to be a sort of kinship among smokers.  One would go to a club or a bar and might approach a complete stranger and say, "Can I bum a smoke?" and the other person, more often than not, would say, "Sure, friend!  Here ya go!"

That was not the case on Saturday when we went to the Irish pub after the game.  One of our number, Chris, was standing just outside the patio area having a smoke--standing a short distance from us out of courtesy, rather than by rule--and was approached by a complete stranger who said, "Hey, can I bum a smoke?"  Chris's response was "Heck no, go buy your own!"  I guess it's gotten too expensive to give them away anymore.

Ridiculous habit, anyway.

As if I didn't have enough on my plate, I have officially become the secretary for the quilt guild.  We've had no fewer than six officers quit their positions this year.  In the 20 year history of the guild, we haven't had more than one person resign at a time--and that was a very rare occurrence--but this year we've had six.  The most recent was the secretary.  I've done newsletters and taken notes in other organizations; I can do this, almost in my sleep...which I am almost doing now.  Sharon, bless her heart, volunteered me.  There was no opposition and it was unanimously voted that I would finish out the year doing the newsletter.  I guess I'll work on that tomorrow.

I finished the quilt for Lauri and delivered it last night, but didn't get any pictures of it.  Darn it!  Maybe I can get Lauri to take a couple pictures for me.  I did show it at guild and Linda is good about taking pictures of everything and posting to the web site, so I might be able to snag that one when it gets posted.

Also up on the docket today--tying knots on the yurt lattice.  I picked up four packets of grommets for the canvas yesterday--a cost of about $20--so Jen and I should both be able to get all the grommets put on the canvas for both our yurts.  There's a possibility that we'll need one more packet, but I can run to get some or get someone to pick some up at the hardware store where I got them if that's the case.

Off to get things done!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.