Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Have Cookies, Will Travel


My Cookie Mom (the co-leader who is in charge of ordering and managing the cookie accounts) gave me this idea for taking cookies to and from the vehicle and creating a ready display.  Underneath the cases, individual boxes are neatly lined up in the wagon, ready for sale.  We set the cases behind us or next to the wagon, and prop up one box of each variety for display.  We were hoping to sell upwards of 4000 boxes (a really crazy goal, but still...) but I suspect we'll be closer to 1500 or 2000.

I have three quilts sitting & waiting for me to work on them.  The one that is racked up now just needed batting--the stuff she gave me was the same size as the stuff I had on hand--only 90" wide and the quilt is 93" x 108".  So today, after a THIRD customer dropped off her quilt, I scampered off and found a batt that's big enough.  I'll get that started first thing tomorrow after the kids are dropped off.  Hopefully I can get that one mostly done and be ready to start the next one on Wednesday, which is a fairly simple quilt, but has a thread color change and some flauna to quilt in.  The last one should be really quick and easy--it's a simple all-over stipple.  Once those are done, I can finally get started on my SEVEN quilts that I need to have done for the quilt show.  I have just a couple weeks to ensure that they're all quilted.  I can spend one weekend doing all the binding, but all the paperwork needs to be in with the chairs by the next guild meeting on the 20th.


I'd love to have a quilt ready for binding, which I could work on while sitting with the girls while they sell cookies...at least for as long as my fingers can handle it.  The last few sales were SOOO cold!  One night it was 32 degrees...we were all jumping up and down trying to keep warm.  Lena went into the store (Lowes) and found some foot warmers, so we stuck them into boots, mittens and hats to keep us warm.  Unfortuantely, the weather kept the numbers of shoppers down, and while the sales weren't awful, they weren't as inspiring.  All three of the girls were learning a lot about sales techniques--like instead of selling just one or two boxes, suggesting 5 boxes for $20.  They're also asking for people who buy one box at $4 to donate that last dollar to buy cookies for the soldiers.  Most people agree.  Up-selling a box for the soldiers is always great, too, especially for people who say they're on a diet or can't eat sugar.  These patriotic girls discussed it on that cold night and decided that this really was all about helping out our Nation's Finest. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.