Friday, September 14, 2012

Pirates' Invasion & Patches for Service

I laid out this quilt at the show last month and thought I'd take a picture of it before tucking it away again.  This was made by my great-aunt Addie, presumably the only quilter in our family that I am aware of.  And this is the only quilt known of hers in existence.  It was damaged pretty badly over the years and was lovingly repaired by my Mom, although I may do a bit more to it at some point.  Aunt Donna's name had been in it but it appears the threads have come out, along with the names of a couple more that are starting to pull out.  I have to fine some matching thread for the blocks and I'll try to follow the stitching lines as they still exist, but this piece is so fragile now, I hate to do too much.

I finished putting the sashing and cornerstones on the blocks for Cammie's quilt and had her lay them out how she wants them.  We made sure that the fabrics didn't match up from square to square, shuffling them a bit for more random variety.  Now that we're satisfied, I'll add the last strip pieces around the edges and sew the blocks together.

Here's the final layout.  I'll work on this tomorrow while the Pirates invade.  I anticipate I'll be able to get the top done fairly quickly, and may be able to get the borders on this weekend.  I have Laura's quilt top on the frame still, and should try to work on it a bit in the morning.  I was supposed to get it done for Lauri by this weekend and kept getting distracted.  

At the guild meeting on Monday, I picked up eight packets of 9-patches to sew up for the community service committee. We ended up getting far more squares donated than we used up at the quilt show, so the committee arranged these packets to have members take home and sew together.   I was thinking that there were two 9-patches in each ziplock, but there were four.  So instead of 16 blocks, I committed to make 32.  Ah, well.  They sew up quickly and it's all for a good cause.  

I got half of them done tonight and can finish the rest of them tomorrow and give them to Michele for the project.  I also have a bunch of friendship blocks to get done to hand over to Linda this weekend.  I have a solid list of things to work on!

Then I have to figure out what Friendship Blocks to hand out for the guild...I am eligible to hand out three times now.  I didn't realize it was so many.  Guess I need to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.