Saturday, December 10, 2011

Weaving Works

I've been going a little nutty with the tablet weaving this last couple of weeks.  It started with the open hole weaving that Bekah taught me.  This is when you leave one of the holes on the cards empty so the weft peeks through as you weave.  It was a short piece--about two yards--and it went together pretty quickly.  This was a learning piece where I discovered the importance of the S and Z warp.  It can really change the look of the piece depending on how they're threaded.  This was when things started to really click in my head about how this is supposed to work.

Then you saw my second piece, the blue, green, black, white and yellow piece ("Aquaterra, An Tir") that I made, which is destined to be a prize for the rapier tourney at Ursulmas.  This was a 25 card piece based on a pattern called "Andred" I found on the EQOS web site.

Here are a few new ones that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks.  It takes a few hours to warp it up--usually two or three, and usually when I've been watching TV.  The weaving takes longer, of course, but I can do a yard or more in an evening, so in two to four days, I can get it done and ready to tie up the ends.

This one I've been calling "Black and White and Red All Over" for obvious reasons.  It's about two yards long--experimental length.  I was trying to create a pattern based on a photograph I found online, and unfortunately it didn't turn out the way I expected.  It's still cool-looking, and I guess you could call it an original design... No idea what I'm going to do with this piece.  Historically, they could be used as trim for clothing or housewares, or even as horse tack as belly bands and reins.  In SCA, it is usually used as trim on a garment or belts.  Usually trim is smaller and more delicate, with finer threads to make a 1/4" to 1/2" wide band, rather than the 1" to 1 1/2" wide that I've been making.

So I decided to try something different and went with this "eyeball" pattern.  I call this one "Waverly".  I think I strung it up like EQOS's "Sed" pattern, but I used fewer colors and did a different turning pattern, so I ended up with something quite unique.  No idea what I'm doing with this one either.  I'm hoping that someone will say, "Hey!  I like that!  What do you want for it?"  Maybe I need to partner up with a merchant to sell things on commission.

This is one of my favorite pieces so far.  I just call it "Aquaterra" since it is the colors for the Barony. The pattern is called "Acret" although again, I changed some of the colors around (out of necessity--there wasn't enough white to do the pattern the way it was designed).  The site owner has an Etsy page, and I wonder if this is the way to go with my stuff.  Of course, I don't understand her pricing.  They can be anywhere between $15 to $50.  I assume that some of this is based on the cost of the buckles.

My most recent piece is this one.  It's the same pattern but a different colorway.  What I love about this one is the right side has a lovely pattern and the *wrong* side is even prettier!  (The wrong side is on top of this picture, the right side is below.)  I posted this on my Facebook page and Bekah now wants to commission works from me. My teacher wants me to make stuff for her.  How funny is that?

Today is going to be pretty busy--Emma is testing for her orange belt, and we're planning on getting together with Jeanie.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Your tablet weaving pieces are so pretty. I wish I was motivated to pull out our stuff to work on them again. If you do sew them on as trim to tunics, be sure to prewash them. We learned this the hard way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weavings are beautiful! Congratulations to Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.