Sunday, July 24, 2011

Garage Purge

A few days ago, I finally finished the seams and hems for Tyrssen's red tunic and started working on the yellow one.  I meant to spend some time this weekend working on the seams--I finished half of them over the last few days and had hopes that I could get it in the mail tomorrow.  However, those plans of working on the tunic were delayed when we got busy with another major project.  The mailing might actually happen on Tuesday, not Monday, so he'll have a couple extra tunics for his trip to Pennsic, a large SCA event in Pennsylvania.



Yesterday we spent several hours emptying the garage and cleaning out the nooks and crannies.  It was starting to get really cluttered and cramped in there, and getting around the car or working on the yurt were both getting difficult.  We started by pulling out all the camping gear, making a pile of stuff to give away, a pile of boxes of stuff to go through, and putting excess garbage into the car for a dump run (including two twin size box springs, broken toys, and more).  It looked like a yard sale was going on in our driveway, and several neighbors slowed down to look carefully at our stuff...unfortunately, they didn't stop to ask if we were selling any of it...we probably would have given them a good price.

One dump run later, we started to load all the donations into the car, which went there today.  I brought so much stuff, the guy offered to give me two donation slips.  I also set aside some big things to give to a friend for her kids--five car seats, a wagon, and a bike child seat.  If she can't use it, she has friends at church that might have need of it.

Then there are four boxes of things to go to either the SCA (books) or the quilt guild for their annual show.  Once the donations were taken away, I loaded up the boxes of books that I will be taking to a meeting on Tuesday, along with two camp chairs, some miscellaneous dishes and a couple hats.  Hopefully all that will find new homes...we still have a bunch of stuff in the garage, but I keep hoping that we'll be able to fit two cars in there...probably not.  At least I will be able to get in and out of the car much easier.

The nice thing is that during the purge and sort, I found a few things, like this linen satchel that I made for Costumer's Guild and have been looking for.  All the fabric was from a scrap bag of linen from a hat making shop.

BBQ chicken sliders for dinner tonight.  Crock pot style!

3 comments:

  1. It always feels good to get your home/garage clean! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except it buggered up my allergies a bit and I'm sore all over. It's going to take a day or two to get over the thrill. However, it does feel good to make more space for the stuff we love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your linen bag. Don't envy the garage cleaning though... even so, it's always good to do.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry--I'm getting a lot of junk emails, so moderation is necessary. Maybe just allowing members of the blog to comment would be easier...or those with Google accounts...let me know if that would be easier.